Wednesday, March 14, 2007

TEN Hiatus, I’m Slacking

I’ve been putting off getting to work on reviewing “A Different Light” so far this week. I’ve listened to the album a few times already; I just don’t feel like sitting down to write out my reactions and to get it all formulated into a cohesive review. Instead, I’ve been listening a lot to The Early November. And, sadly, yesterday AP.net posted the band’s note to their fans, saying that they were going on an indefinite hiatus.

That was actually very disappointing news to me. Just recently, AP.net did an interview with the band, where they talked about all of the writing that Ace (the band’s front man and song writer) had been doing. They explained that he had enough material written for several full LP’s and of course, I was excited. But, unfortunately, now, they’re calling it quits. I have to say; I’ve been a fan for quite a while. I was really lured in by their emo sound way back on “For All of This,” and since then they’ve been maturing, and I’ve enjoyed just about everything that they’ve done. Especially, 2006’s “The Mother, The Mechanic, and The Path,” which was an epic three disc undertaking with 46 tracks. There was a ton of speculation that TEN would be spreading themselves too thin, but when I first got to listen, I couldn’t disagree more. While The Path, was a bit different, seeing as it was mostly narrated with alternating musical interludes, it was overall very enjoyable. The story that it told, directly, was also mirrored in the lyrics and musical styles of the preceding CDs, The Mother and The Mechanic.

The Mechanic, which opens the three disc set, is much more of a rock CD, as opposed to the slower more melodic style of The Mother. Both, however, showcase the musicianship of The Early November and the writing talents of Ace Enders. Both CDs, which have 11 tracks each, plus “5 Years” which was a bonus track for The Mechanic, just did not disappoint me. While I had favorites within the 23 tracks, I never find myself skipping over a single song.

So, what was supposed to just be a short entry explaining that I might be a little bit late with this weeks review, has turned into a pretty long lament about TEN. I’m hoping to get to see them on their last tour. I’d most likely try to go see them on April 12, when I’m back up at school; they’re playing at Toad’s Place in New Haven, CT. I just have to find someone else who wants to go, and who can drive. I’m also planning on seeing Circa Survive with As Tall As Lions, Envy on the Coast, and Cute Is What We Aim For, when they play in West Hartford. Also, hopefully, if I get to these shows, I’ll do a short write-up on my feelings about the show as a whole and the individual sets.

I expect that once I’m back up at school, I’ll get down to work and write the Sherwood review, and pick out what I’ll be doing for next week.

No comments: