Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Years Gone By – On The Verge

Band: The Years Gone By
Album: On The Verge
Release Date: May 1, 2007
Label: None/DIY

Like the past week’s review, this too is late, considerably late. If you haven’t noticed, I haven’t been posting much lately, here or at Bêtise. I haven’t really had the motivation to write a post, or worry about reviewing a CD. I haven’t even had much motivation to even read the blogs and news that I usually check up on daily. I’ve been mulling it over for a while, and I fully intend to keep on here, but Bêtise, might not have as favorable a fate. There’s nothing definite, I might just be in a slump, with the end of the semester upon me, and after all it’s finals week here. That aside, I’ve listened to On The Verge a few times, and I’m prepared to give it a short review.

This time around, The Years Gone By, aren’t offering up much of anything new. Last year’s self-titled was upbeat and full of fun catchy lyrics. The Years Gone By are hometown heroes taking the plunge into the music industry trying to get by with energetic live performances and the DIY spirit. I’ve got to give them credit for that. They’re a group of hardworking guys who love music. They’ve got the energy and the will to make it, but they’ve stuck themselves right in the middle of an aging genre that is quickly growing stale.

“Them 1, Me 0” is full of poppy full band chants and hard hitting guitars, but it just doesn’t seem to do it for me. “Anniversary” too, has all the makings of a good pop-punk song: catchy chorus and lyrics full of fun hooks, a driving beat, and energetic breakdowns, but again, it doesn’t have much lasting power.

I’m not sure what’s causing my lack luster response to the EP. I’m left wondering if my tastes have just changed too much, or if I feel like I’ve heard it all before, and maybe this time it’s just not as good. Unfortunately, I feel it’s not the first reason. In fact, lately my last.fm account has been inundated with the likes of Allister, A New Found Glory, and Fenix TX. So, far from it, if anything I was primed for a great pop-punk release. I fear then that I’ve just heard it all before. The Years Gone By haven’t grown into a new sound at all. In fact, they’ve even re-recorded the opening track from their self-titled, “Sever The Ties.” Even though it seems like its got a little more emotion to it this time around, I find myself longing for the original version.

When I first found out that The Years Gone By were coming out with a new EP I was really excited. Their full-length earned many plays for me, and I was hoping for a stellar follow up, but unfortunately I’ve come away a little disappointed. Hopefully, as they continue their sound will mature and they’ll be able to forge a new road in the weakening pop-punk genre. However, until then it seems like they might just remain a “High School Sensation.”

No comments: